Infraspection Institute Releases New Standards for Infrared Thermography
Burlington, NJ February 13, 2008 — Infraspection Institute has announced the release of eight new standards for infrared thermography. Four of the new standards cover thermal imaging applications and four are dedicated to equipment operation and temperature measurement.
Jim Seffrin, Director of Infraspection Institute, states, “We are very excited about the release of our new standards. One of the most common requests among thermographers is to have a uniform set of industry standards. In fact, standards were high on the wish list of several attendees at our recent IR/INFO conference.”
Recognizing the need for standardized procedures, Infraspection Institute began publishing guidelines for thermography in 1993. Since their initial publication, Infraspection Institute guidelines have been adopted by hundreds of companies worldwide and incorporated into documents published by recognized standards organizations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Beginning in 2007, Infraspection Institute guidelines were updated and renamed as standards to reflect their industry-wide acceptance and the best practices they embody.
Eight comprehensive standards are now available from Infraspection Institute. These documents cover equipment operation, temperature measurement, and specific thermographic applications. Current titles include:
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Electrical Systems & Rotating Equipment
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Insulated Roofs
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Building Envelopes
- Standard for Infrared Inspections to Detect Pests and Pest Related Damage
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Emittance Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Reflected Temperature Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Transmittance of an Attenuating Medium Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring Distance/Target Size Values for Infrared Imaging Radiometers
Each Infraspection standard provides simple and straightforward procedures along with the requirements for properly documenting test results. Infraspection application standards provide a blueprint for both specifying and performing infrared inspections and are designed to be incorporated into contract documents. These documents are a ‘must-have’ for anyone who specifies, performs, or oversees infrared inspections.
Mr. Seffrin adds, “Our new standards represent the work of many practicing thermographers and other experts. We wish to thank them for their valuable contributions in helping us to respond proactively to thermographer needs and advance our industry once again. We invite every practicing thermographer to add a copy of these very important documents to their reference library.”
Copies of the new Infraspection standards are available in PDF format and may be purchased by calling Infraspection Institute at 609-239-4788 or visiting the Infraspection Online Store.